- Lie on your bed, and focus on your breathing.
- Breathe in slowly through your nose, then breathe out slowly through your mouth.
- Relax with each deep breath you take.
- Let the mattress to take the full weight of your body. Feel your body supported, heavy but weightless.
- Concentrate on your face, feel the muscles in your cheeks and forehead.
- Think about the weight of your head sinking into the pillow.
- Focus on how relaxed your face feels.
- Let that relaxed feeling spread further down your body.
- Feel it spreading down your shoulders, along your arms and out through your finger tips.
- Move your attention down your body, all the way to your toes and your feet, feel any remaining tension drain away.
- Continue your steady, slow breathing and allow yourself to enjoy this time to relax.
By practicing the skill of being able to relax your body, you can go some way to avoid the additional tension and frustration that failing to fall asleep can cause.
A weighted blanket can add additional feedback by stimulating your proprioceptive system, this is the best weighted blanket for autogenic training